This is really good and my family loves it. It's usually gone in about two days. It's great served as cereal, sprinkled on yogurt, or as a plain snack. You can also mix it into your own trail mix if you'd like to.
4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup saffola or olive oil
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 F. In a bowl mix the oats, almonds, salt and cinnamon. In a saucepan warm the oil and honey. Whisk in vanilla. Carefully pour the liquid over the oat mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon; finish mixing by hand. Spread granola cookie sheet. Bake 40 minutes, stirring carefully every 10 minutes. I like ours a to be clumpy so I don't stir it until after it's cooled completely. Let it cool complete. It will have hardened so now you can scrap it with a spoon. Stir in dried fruit. Seal granola in an airtight container or self-sealing plastic bag. Store at room temperature for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.
Variations ~
-try adding 1 tsp almond extract for an extra almond taste
-use different types of nuts
-use raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.
13 comments:
can you use the QUICK oats? Is that ok?
Whats saffola oil? Why not just regular veggie oil?
Saffola oil is just a healthier oil. You can substitute vegetable oil if you want to. It will turn out the same. I wouldn't use olive oil though because it will have a strong flavor to it.
I don't know if you can use quick oats. Old fashioned oats are healthier because they are not processed. If you do try using quick oats, I would reduce the time you cook it because quick oats have already been partially cooked.
I'm gonna try this tomorrow (I think)! :)
What would you guess for points for 1/4 cup ??
Well, it's hard to say. Since there is no refined sugar in it I'd go off what the points are for oatmeal. So, maybe figure what a cup of oatmeal is in points and divide that by 4. Hope that helps.
I made it today. My son and husband really like it. My husband puts granola on his oatmeal daily....so homemade is great.
Your ingredients do not say brown sugar, but your instructions mention brown sugar. I assumed that it should be made without the brown sugar. Am I right?
LOL, I'm losing my mind! Yes, the original recipe called for brown sugar and I must have been quickly typing it out. I don't use the brown sugar but instead I doubled some of the other ingredients. I'll fix that. =0) Thanks for catching that for me and glad you like it! My family loves it and we are out so I plan on making a batch or two tomorrow! =0)
I made this again last week. I slightly lowered the amount of salt, and for kicks, did half honey and half maple syrup. It turned out great too! We really like it both ways. This is now going in my recipe book for sure! Thanks!
I make this recipe every other week now. I made it for coworkers and neighbors for Christmas also. I have modified it now, and use a combination of 1/3 cup maple syrup and 3T brown sugar. I know that makes it slightly less healthy... oh well!
Thanks for such a great recipe!
Shannon, I'm SO glad you like it! I haven't seen you on here in so long! I missed you! I enjoy trying your recipes too.
This is almost identical to my granola recipe. I got it off Allrecipes - something like Vanilla Granola. Main difference is that it has a good helping of brown sugar added - probably why I like it.
My whole family loves it.
Hmmm - I haven't made it for a couple months, I think I need to make it again. I usually make a batch before we go on a trip too, and make sure to make it clumpy, and it makes a great munching snack in the car.
Post a Comment