4.06.2009

Chewy Granola Bars


I've been searching and working to perfect a granola bar recipe that is chewy and healthy all at the same time. I have made so many batches I think my family might be tired of my failed granola bar recipes. But alas, I have finally created one that I'm happy with.

4 c oats
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c honey
4 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Toast the oats on a cookie sheet @ 400 degrees (for about 10 min.) while mixing together the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat till bubbly and thin. Butter a 9x13 glass pan. Remove oats from oven and pour into a mixing bowl. Pour honey mixture over the oats and mix well till all the oats are coated. Pour into the 9x13 and cover with wax paper or parchment paper. Use a spatula or the back of a measuring cup to press the mixture down and spread it evenly. Let cool for 2-3 hours until there is no warmth to the pan. Remove the bars carefully by inverting the pan onto a cutting board. Cut the bars with a butcher knife and either wrap individually or store between layers of wax paper in an air tight container.

If you'd like to add some mix-ins you can do so the following way:

Chocolate Chip - add 1/2 cup of mini chips to the above recipe. Add the chips when mixing the oats and honey together.

Peanut - add 1 cup of crushed peanuts and use only 3 cups of oats. Toast the peanuts with the oats.

Oatmeal Raisins - add 1/2 cup of raisins to the above recipe and 1 tsp cinnamon when mixing the oats and honey together.

Health Nut - add 3/4 c wheat germ, 3/4 c sunflower seeds, 1 cup of crushed peanuts, reduce oats to 2 cups and toast with the oats and then add 8oz. dried fruit when mixing the oats and honey together.

Fruity - add 1 cup dried fruit to the above recipe when mixing the oats and honey together.

12 comments:

Amy Medina said...

oooh...will definitely try this one! Couldn't buy packaged granola bars even if I wanted to! And I can get all these ingredients. well, I can't get rolled oats but I can get regular oats. they look yummy!

Rachel said...

This is kinda crazy. I just bought some cheerios to make homemade bars! Hopefully I can get a recipe up soon. Yours look really yummy and I"ll have to try them. I had to laugh at the "my family is getting tired of..." I go thru the same thing here.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I'm going to try this right away.

I recently bought a box of Kashi granola bars that have a thin layer of chocolate-rasberry over the bars.

I think I can make this recipe and then mix melted chocolate chips with just a little rasberry jam mixed in and then poured on the granola bars.

It would certainly be LOTS cheaper than the Kashi (I had a $2.00 off coupon).

Judy@Frugal at Home said...

This sounds perfect! I have a wonderful recipe for "loose" granola, but I'll have to try this recipe for bars!

mub said...

This looks really quite tasty, thanks for sharing your recipe!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Those look great! I've tried a few too, and not had any luck. I will have to add these to my list. Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

MiddleEarthMusician said...

I tried these and they came out great. I added chocolate chips but my mixture was still pretty warm so they ended up being chocolate granola bars instead of choc chip. They were still great and my family gobbled them all up!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

I buy these prepackaged but would love to make my own. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Rachel said...

This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for! I can't wait to try it!

flowerpot said...

Sounds delicious!

Muthering Heights said...

That sounds like a great recipe! I'm looking forward to trying it!

Shannon said...

Made these last night with cinnamon and raisins and they turned out quite tasty. I may try to slightly modify and experiment with these further.... just for fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails