6.01.2009

Corn Dog Muffins

I saw this recipe idea on Heavenly Homemaker and had to try it. Corn dogs are one of my son's favorite food items and well, as you know they aren't the healthiest thing in the world so making them from scratch is a step in the right direction.

Couple of things:

-I use 100% beef, no nitrate hot dogs....the healthiest ones I can find minus the organic factor.

-I cut the hot dogs into small pieces and stirred them into the batter which we were really happy with.

Double this corn muffin recipe:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk (or milk)

Stir together dry ingredients. Add eggs, honey, butter and buttermilk. Stir until just mixed.

Cut up 5-6 hot dogs and add to the batter.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown (about 15 min.)....dough may be a little greasy around the hot dogs but as long as it's cooked you are good to go.

These are great because you can make a bunch of them and freeze them and they are a great quick lunch for hungry kids!

7 comments:

Veronica said...

I've never really been into freezing stuff like this... but what would you do when you want to use them, just take them out & re-heat them from frozen?

What's Cooking said...

I freeze them in my deep freeze because they freeze better and longer in there.

Then, I take them out and either defrost them first or put them straight in the oven till they are warmed. I'd wrap them in foil though for the oven so that they don't get any darker...you just want to heat them through. Or you could microwave them but I try not to microwave them.

Veronica said...

Thanks!! I look forward to making these! My kids (esp. son) LOVE corndogs too & I always feel kind of guilty when I give them to them. Try to limit it! LOL! I know what you mean about the microwave... I try to avoid it as much as possible, as well. Although, it's quite a tempter right now, since it is brand spanking new & my stove is practically an antique!

MiddleEarthMusician said...

This looks so much fun!

Niki Jolene said...

I'm so adding these to my next menu plan!

:)

annies home said...

I make these a bit different I make cornmeal up and slice hotdog in thirds and then fill muffin cups 2/3 full and insert a bit of hotdog bake

Sunnymommie said...

I just made for my kids' lunch and they seem like it and I like it too ..thanks! it wonderful can put in freezer for another day lunch to save my money and time and also healthy! thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails