11.18.2009

Chicken Stock


After you've cooked a whole chicken, let it cool and pick all the meat off of it. Place the carcass into your crock-pot with:
a carrot or two
1-2 celery stalks
a half of an onion
a bay leaf
a few garlic cloves
1 tsp Italian seasoning
a few dashes of pepper
then fill the crock to the top with water

Turn it on low and let it "cook" over night. In the morning, turn it off and let it cool. Once it's cooled (completely) strain it and ladle it into canning jars leaving about 2 inches from the top free, and freeze. I make mine with no salt and add salt to my cooking later. You could also can this so that you could store it on your pantry shelf.

You can use your broth/stock for any recipe that calls for it. It works great for soups, rice, gravy, etc.

12 comments:

jubilee said...

Great tip!

Veggiemomof2 said...

Wonderful tip! For the longest time, I was buying chicken broth. Now I just use bulluion (sp) cubes to make my own!

Jelli said...

This is a great tip considering Thanksgiving is almost upon us. I will definitely use this for some turkey broth.

MiddleEarthMusician said...

Is there a difference between stock and broth?

What's Cooking said...

Katey,
My understanding from all I have read on the topic is that there is not a difference.

tulip said...

Boullion is also used interchangably with broth and stock.

What's Cooking said...

A couple of you mentioned the bouillon cubes but keep in mind that they are super high in sodium. If you use them (which I don't recommend them because of the high sodium) then be sure to cut down or completely out the salt in your recipes.

Jessica said...

No water for this chicken broth recipe?

Jen said...

LOL! Sometimes I forget to type the most obvious things. Yes, fill it to the top with water. =0)

Sharon said...

This is great. My MIL happened to come over after my husband and I made a chicken. She suggested doing this, but she doesn't add as much water and freezes the broth in ice cube trays. I pull out one cube and add about 2 cups of water!

Anonymous said...

I like this one because you can put it in the crockpot. A very good tip
thanks
vickie

Jessica's Little Women said...

I know it sounds gross, but we add chicken necks and chicken feet, and it comes out soooooo lovely! Fabulous flavor, and very gelatin-y.

A lot of times bouillon cubes have msg and other chemicals, too. They taste great, though!

The difference between stock and broth is that stock is made from bones and broth is made from meat :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails