
I know that when you hear "hand squeezed" you usually think of orange juice but I'm not kidding

when I say hand squeezed butter. I know, don't fall out of your chair yet, but I'm churning my own butter. I realize that I risk losing some readers at this point who think I've crossed over the edge! But, bare with me a minute. I've been reading about which foods are the most important to eat organically and yes, dairy is at the top of the list. So, I want organic butter but guess what, it's expensive. So, I thought I'd experiment and see if I could make it cheaper than buying it. It's super easy to churn your own butter with the modern tools of today, the true question was "is it cheaper?"

So, I bought organic whipping cream and set to work last week. Actually, set my mixer to work. After measuring the before amounts, the cost of already made organic butter (unsalted) and then calculating the resulting measurements and comparing the price, it actually didn't save me that much money. Here's the deal, the butter part was cheaper store bought from where I get it, BUT it did yield 2 cups of buttermilk which was "free" so to speak. So, if you count the free buttermilk, well, then it was cheaper. Organic buttermilk cost me about $2.75 for a carton so I got about $1.37 worth of free buttermilk. Doesn't sound like such a good deal but here's the

kicker.....my family went nuts for my homemade butter and homemade buttermilk. I have to admit the buttermilk was amazing! It made buttermilk pancakes like we've never experienced! It was seriously shocking. So, even though it doesn't save me a whole lot of money, the quality was well worth the time. Considering it doesn't take all that much work, we'll be making this from time to time. Now, if you are still with me after this lengthy post, I'll share with you the steps.

Ingredients:
2 pints heavy whipping cream
(you can add salt if you want but we use all unsalted butter)
Tools:
mixer or food processor
strainer (optional)
Whip the whipping cream through the many

stages till you get butter. That's pretty much it. So, it turns first into fluffy whipping cream, then it gets really thick, then it starts to condense and turn yellow.....then it starts to separate and the yellow turns to little pea chunks and milk starts to come out of it. Keep whipping till you get a hard butter and lots of milk.
Now is when you want to strain the buttermilk and put it into a jar and refrigerate it to use in pancakes or recipes that week.
Now you can take the butter and with very

clean hands, squeeze it. Yep, go right ahead and start wringing it out. Press it into a butter dish or mold it

if you desire. I'm always amazed how soft my hands are after hand squeezing butter!
Now, you might think I'm totally nuts but seriously this wasn't that hard. =0)
10 comments:
This is soooo cool. Seriously. I pretty much knew in general the process, but it has encouraged me to try it myself. AND, it will be fun to do with my son. We will just call it an experiment.
We love making butter around here! It's very fun. We don't squeeze ours, though, we just rinse it really well to get the buttermilk out so that it doesn't spoil and ruin the butter.
Just knowing you CAN do and know HOW to do it is neat! I have been wanting to try this myself. My friends/family think I'm nutz already LOL
hmmm, tempting, i might have to try this. i'm a sucker for buttermilk pancakes, and little boo LOVES butter, so maybe a project we can work on together one morning.
This actually does sound like fun. I just might have to try it some day.
I've been wanting to try making my own butter since I saw it on Good Eats. Now I'm just going to have to try it. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.
Ok, might have to try this. Thank you for sharing!
I found your blog through Tammy's Tuesday links, it looks like I am going to have to add it to my bookmarks. One thing I recently learned concerning the heavy cream you bought- if its ultra pasteurized then its no good even if it is organic. Check out http://kellythekitchenkop.com/category/milk-healthy-options where she explains why this is so. I never even paid much attention to that before. Anyway, I hope you find that interesting.
Kate
Kate,
I'm so glad you like my blog! I hope you come back often.
Concerning the cream. Actually, the fact that it's free of hormones and pesticides IS very important to me and the fact that it is ultra-pasteurized does not take away from the fact that it was produced withOUT pesticides and hormones. I do prefer RAW dairy products but they are virtually IMPOSSIBLE for me to get in my state. If I could, I would. But regardless, it is STILL VERY MUCH A BENEFIT that they are organic. I have a disease that is pesticide inflicted so I can guarantee that organic products are well worth it even if they are ultra-pasteurized.
We did it this weekend and it was so easy and turned out great. We will do this again!
Post a Comment