12.14.2009

Honey Baked Lentils and Rice

I know this doesn't look like much but oh. my. goodness. this is SO good. I've tried many lentil and rice recipes and this one is hands down our favorite. My husband and kids don't even like lentils and won't eat them any other way but they love this. I adapted the recipe from Becca's recipe called Honey Baked Lentils. I wanted to make ours a little more substantial since we eat it as a main dish so I added rice and changed up the measurements a bit. It works great as a healthy side dish as well. I prefer it cooked on low for half the day in the crock-pot. You can bake it in the oven but it just didn't come out cooked as even because of the rice added.

Here's my take on it:

1 c lentils
1 c brown rice
4 1/2 c water
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp dried minced onion (fresh onion floats to the top)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 minced clove of garlic)
1 tsp salt (or more if needed)
pepper to taste

Place all the ingredients in the crock-pot and cook on low from about noon till dinner. This stuff is addicting. The flavor is SO good!

If baking in the oven: 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

8 comments:

Romi said...

Wow, this recipe sounds amazing! I've just moved out on my own and will surely try it. Just one question: do you know Iif I can cook a large amount, eat some, and then freeze the rest? Thanks in advance, I LOVE your blog! :)

What's Cooking said...

Hi Romi,

Yes, you can freeze it! So glad you like my blog! I appreciate your sweet comment! =0)

Anonymous said...

I made it tonight. The flavor was incredibly good! I put mine in the crockpot about noon and turned it up on high till 3ish then cooked it until 5 on low- it was very mushy :(. Too bad...

What's Cooking said...

Anonymous,
I made it today too and it came out mushy as well! I can't figure out why it turned out fine the first time. I'm totally perplexed. I think I'll cook it only half day on low next time. I'll also adjust the recipe instructions. I'm so sorry! I haven't had a recipe do that to me before. Please forgive me for the mushiness!

Jessica said...

I've made made this recipe a few times, always using the oven. I, too, have had it mixed results at the end. I think my variations are the result of sometimes soaking the lentils and other times skipping the soaking step.

'Becca said...

I happened to see your post just as I'm eating my lunch of leftover HBLs in a baked sweet potato! That's a really good combination.

I'm going to link your post to mine for anyone who wants the crock-pot instructions. I don't have a crock-pot.

Anonymous with the mushy lentils, which kind of lentils did you use? I prefer this recipe with the bigger green lentils. The tiny red ones either get mushy or get sort of fluffy which (with white rice) makes the dish seem too starchy and not like a main dish.

Bonnie said...

We are trying this tonight ! Will let you know what we think ! Sounds soooo yum !!

Shannon said...

I made it today. I cooked it on high for 2.5 hours. The rice was perfect and the lentils were a bit soft, but we did not mind. My son liked it only when a little bit of BBQ sauce was added. My husband and I thought that it was great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails